Sunday, March 3, 2013

1 month in Spain

Wow. I can't believe that I have been here for a month already- 1/3 of the way finished with what has been an amazing experience so far. I'm really excited that March is already here, because I have trips planned for every single weekend this month. This coming weekend we have a day trip to Bilbao and San Sebastian (i think..), then the next weekend March 13th-17th (long weekend) I will be in Rome with some friends. The next weekend, we will take a group trip to Barcelona, and then finally the last weekend of March my parents, Karin, and Taylor will be here! It is a busy month, but I'm so excited to travel around Spain!

This weekend has been great! I decided not to travel anywhere because it will be my last full weekend in Santander for a while. Today was the perfect weather- sunny, no rain, and a little breeze. So needless to say I spent most of my day outside. This morning I attended my first Spanish-catholic mass. I really enjoyed it, but mainly for the scenery. It was the most beautiful church I've ever been in- and I think it's a pretty typical church for here- nothing fancy to people who actually live here. But to me, everything was so gorgeous- the art and sculptures that were all over the church were so beautiful. I was pretty proud of myself because I was able to understand a lot of what was going on during the service. After church, Carly, Megan, Maggie and myself got some ice cream and snacks and sat along the edge of the sidewalk that runs parallel to the bay, and just enjoyed the beautiful day.

Later on this afternoon we all went to la playa de la Magdalena, which is also where the palace and penguins are. It's a really small beach, but it's our favorite because it has the best view. You can sit on the beach, and look across the bay to snow capped mountains. It's breath-taking.





With all this beautiful scenery, I'm kind of ashamed to admit that the highlight of my day was when my madre made me a grilled cheese. It was absolutely delicious! I told her that usually, at home, I eat them with tomato soup and she told me that she would make it for me for dinner tomorrow night! Yet another reason why I love her.

No comments:

Post a Comment