Sunday, March 10, 2013

updates

It's been a while since my last post, so naturally there is a lot to catch up on. Going to start by explaining just how wonderful my host mom is. Every other Thursday I go to a local school here to tutoring 4th and 6th graders in english, and we have to be there at 3 in the afternoon, which means that I don't have time to eat lunch with my madre (we usually don't start eating until 2:30ish). So this past Thursday I told her that I wouldn't be able to eat with her, and she told me that she would have some lentils made for me when I got home, and I could eat them before going to the school. But, when I got home she had the whole table set and ready for me to eat- salad, oil&vinegar, water, coffee and desert. All I had to do was put my lentils in the bowl.


Tutoring this week went really well. I love spending time with the students and learning more about the school day/system here in spain. The students that I tutor have at least 5 other classes besides the one they do with us- and this includes another English class. Some of the take french as well. It amazes me how early they start learning foreign languages. I wish that the public schools in the states understood this concept as well; the earlier a student learns a language, the easier it is. Also, the need to know at least one other language is so crucial in today's society. But anyway, back to the students...two of the girls taught Carly and I a little chant (kind of like Miss Mary Mack). It's so cute, and I hope I can remember it to teach people back home! We play a lot of hang man in our classes- the students love it and they learn new english words this way. Regardless of what the activity is I just really enjoy spending time with them. 





Lastly, this past Saturday we had a group trip to Bilbao and a bodega in the Rioja region. In Bilbao we visited the Guggenheim art museum. Definitely one of the most interesting buildings that I've been to, and the art was pretty interesting as well. We were given little telephone like things to listen to the stories behind the art in each exhibit, which definitely made the art come to life more. You couldn't take pictures of the artwork it's self, but I did get some of the building and sculptures outside. 


After the Guggenheim, we had an hour-ish drive to Rioja where we toured the oldest bodega (winery) in Spain. It was definitely one of the most interesting things I've done in Spain, and some of the oldest buildings I've ever been in. The hotel at the bodega was designed by the same architect who designed the Guggenheim museum, Frank Gehry. We got to tour each building at the bodega and see how many steps it takes in making their wine. The wine that is made at this bodega is distributed all over the world- US, France, Austria and all over Spain as well. 








After the tour, we had one of the best meals that I've had since I've been here. 3 full courses of deliciousness. The pictures don't do it justice- a salad with some sort of shell fish, cod with grilled vegetables, and then a chocolate lava cake, and coffee to finish it off!


Needless to say, my weekend was pretty phenomenal. I took a long run this morning, and explored a new area of the town. There is a lighthouse about 20-30 minutes away (jogging) so I decided to go explore that area today- it's absolutely gorgeous, just like the rest of this city, and the best part about it is you can see almost all of Santander because it is at a higher point than where I live. 



Rome is coming up this Wednesday!!!!!!!! Can't wait to finally see Italy. 





No comments:

Post a Comment