Thursday, February 7, 2013

Carolinas

The past two days have been extremely busy but extremely fun! Yesterday all of the international students who are studying abroad in Santander at the UniCan had a orientation at the university and a tour around the Palacio de Magdelena and a boat tour as well. We met students from all over the world- Mexico, Brazil, Australia, London, Germany, Italy, Hong Kong- it was so awesome being able to meet everyone and talk with them about where they live. Our group is by far the largest that is studying at UniCan this semester, we have 24 students. So when I was introducing myself to different people I would tell them that I was from the US and the immediately would say "Ahhh from Carolina!" And Gonzalo told us that at the university everyone knows our group as the "Carolinas." It was fun telling other people about things from NC and also learning so much about life around the world.

Last night the whole group met up at Cruz Blanca once again, then we met the other international students at a place called Zeppelin. We all had such a good time, but we always do! ....It feels weird calling myself an international student, but I like it.

Then today, we had to be at the university at 8:30 to go to Comillas and the Picos de Europa. First we stopped in Comillas, which is small town outside of Santander. The trip was comparable to a drive from Hickory to Boone. We saw the Palacio de Sobrellano and other old buildings made by Antoni Gaudi. From there we went to the Natural Park of the Picos de Europa, and learned about how the picos were formed and the type of people that settled in that region a long, long time ago. There is a special kind of cheese made in this region called queso picon, and our tour guide told us that it usually takes about 6 months to make the cheese. Also, if you are ever in the northern region of Cantabria, in the Picos, try the orujos. From the natural park we drove a little farther west to a small town to each lunch and explore all the beauty of the mountains. It was pretty cloudy and rainy today, but the town was so quaint and beautiful. Carly and I ate with our new Australian friends, then we walked around the town taking pictures of everything.

I spent tonight catching up with everyone back home. I skyped with my mom, and introduced her to my madre. Then with my roommates, and with Chad. I miss everyone back home, and I wish that they could be enjoying the beautiful cities of Spain with me.

I think that I have the sweetest host mom ever. She told me a few nights ago that dinner is whenever I need/want it to be, she makes my bed basically everyday, and she is up with me every morning with coffee and toast on the table. I feel so spoiled here! Today she straightened up my room and bathroom, and tonight we I was getting ready to get in bed I was looking for my pajamas but I couldn't find them anywhere. So I took the covers off the bed, and there they were folded neatly under my pillow, I thought that was so precious!

In general everyone is super nice here! A few of us went to a small cafe/restaurant when we got back from our trip today and while we were just sitting there talking the owner of the place brings us out two plates of chips to snack on! That would never happen back home!

Basically, I'm in love with Spain!

Tomorrow we are going to the Cuervas de Altamira and somewhere else near the ocean, and this weekend there is a carnival to celebrate the end of exams for the university students!

No comments:

Post a Comment